Nestled in the Nilgiri Mountains at 8,000ft, just below Doddabetta Peak, this self-catering apartment with a fully equipped kitchen has a master bedroom and a sleeping loft. Surrounded by reserve forest and tea plantations, the view is stunning.
Just 7 kilometers outside of Ooty town, this property is close to all the major tourist highlights but is secluded and remote at the same time. Away from the hustle and bustle of Ooty town, Bilberry Cottage is a serene and peaceful retreat, overlooking tea estates, wild forest and mountain ridges.
This is a mountain retreat, not a five star hotel. We have staff here during the day to support guests, but not at night. We have beautifully equipped kitchens so you can cook your own food, but we do not have a restaurant. We urge only resilient, nature loving, independent, resourceful, adventuresome people to book a holiday here. Its a wild and steep terrain, and at night you will not hear the noise of traffic, but rather the sound of wind in the trees, owls in the dark, rain on the roofs, bird and animal calls. This is disconcerting for many who are used to the sound of city life all around them. While the evenings may have firelight, candles and electricity, once the lights are out, it will be pitch dark all around. When skies are clear the stars and moon are perhaps the most beautiful you will ever see. Its something about being in the mountains 8,000 ft high, with no pollution covering the atmosphere. Other times of the year, especially in the monsoon, its just incredibly dark. City dwellers often find this unsettling. The mountains of Ooty are also very cool year round, especially at night. While the indoors are warm and cozy, mountain air outside is brisk! Staying at Stumpfields you'll find out quickly just how comfortable you are with nature, and just how dependent you are on technology for your peace of mind. For those who want complete luxury, room service, wifi, TV's, a restaurant, and 24 hour staff service we recommend you book a hotel in the town of Ooty. Please don't book unless you are ready for a challenge and an adventure. Come here ready to unplug from emails and the internet, TV's and movies, and try curling up by the wood stove with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book. Let your body and mind re-set and re-charge as you decompress from your hectic city schedule and let the nature around you remind you there is a different way to live.
Guest are welcome to walk through the gardens and explore the property. We have an herb garden where you are welcome to pick herbs for your soups and greens for your salads. Enjoy the fruit trees and hundreds of flowers.
Below the driveway is an acre of horse pasture, the barn, the riding arena and the horses.
Feel free to wander down. Its best to stay out of the horse pasture as they
horses can be territorial. Hiking trails through forest and tea estates crisscross the land around Bilberry Cottage. A short walk through the forest brings you to a lovely playground for children at a government tea estate called the Tea Park. This is a new government tourist spot, and as yet is not too crowded or well known. A great place for the view, park benches and a 1 kilometer concrete path loop for hiking.
Общение с гостями
Greg and I travel frequently so may be away when you visit. We keep our property well-staffed with 2 maids, an outdoor groundsman and our manager Solomon. They are all very helpful and will answer all your questions. Feel free to reach out to me on email if you would like to give me some feedback or have specific questions and I'll do my best to answer promptly. House staff work between 9:30am and 4:30pm, and can also offer assistance when needed. Guest should be fairly self-reliant and independent, since hosts will not necessarily be around for your arrival or departure.
Другие важные подробности
1. We have a wood stove in the cottage! It really warms up the space in a short amount of time and makes it nice and cozy on even the coldest nights. However do bring warm socks and a sweater and a rain coat as the evenings get chilly. We have plenty of extra throws and blankets, and feather duvets.
2. The property has a steep, long, unpaved drive that leads to the main house and cottage. The drive is rocky and narrow and winding. All cars can drive all the way up to the cottage if you go slowly and carefully! However, it is not an easy driveway. In fact, our drive shocks most of our guests. We have spent many months and significant resources to improve the drive, but it is still, well, challenging. Your car will get dusty if the weather is dry and muddy if it is wet. You can drive up to the cottage and unload your things, but please park down by the horse barn. We suggest you do not book with us unless you are up for a challenge with a daunting driveway.
4. This property is not suitable for people who have trouble walking on uneven surfaces, or climbing stairs. It is not the ideal location for elderly folks, unless they are very fit and energetic. The whole property is on a 45 degree slope, so almost everything is either up or down!
5. Wild bison and other animals frequent the area around the cottage outside of the boundaries of Stumpfields. If you are lucky you may get to see one or even a whole herd.
6. We have 1 Labrador Retriever and a German Shepherd. These are watch dogs that will bark at newcomers, but are friendly. They love to go for walks, so if you hike, you are welcome to take them along for company! Please remember our dogs are not tied up and are allowed to roam around the property freely. If you are afraid of dogs, this may not be the right place for you to spend your vacation.
6. We do not have any facilities for a driver on the property, no outside toilet and washroom, no extra bed. Our place is not set up to host drivers.
This is a peaceful, private and gorgeous retreat. Its a place to unwind, read a book and go for a hike or just gaze at the stunning scenery. Loud music, drinking to excess and parties are not welcome. You are free to smoke outside the house.
У этого хозяина 25 отзыва о другом жилье.Просмотреть другие отзывы