When searching for a place in Brittany, we were looking for a house that would be close to a bakery, a market and possibly the historic center of town. We were also looking for an authentic experience, a house that had been lived in by generations of Bretons. My wife was skeptic about our chances to find such a place, but we did in Julien's house.
The house was everything we could have hoped for. There was:
- The authenticity of this older house, which was furnished with a mix of modern and ancient furniture. The house made you feel like you lived there, not like you were a tourist renting the place for a week.
- The size of the bedrooms and their closets, which as we noticed in our rental in Normandy the following week is crucial, if you don't want to feel like you are living out of suitcases.
- The private setting outside, where we enjoyed all our meals; and which we enjoyed even more, in perfect calm, once the children were sleeping. There was also plenty of room to hang clothes to dry, which is important when travelling with four children near the beach.
- The cleanliness, which is sometimes underrated.
- The parking spot in front of the house, which added to the simplicity of loading and unloading all the stuff a family with four young children might need for an adventure at the beach.
- Internet access was great, but we can't comment on the TV since we did not have time to turn it on.
Finally, we wanted to say that julien was a wonderful host. We stopped by two other airbnb rentals before coming back home, and we thought each time that we wished he had been our host there also. He was very helpful, friendly, easy to communicate with, and gave you that feeling that you belonged there.
We came to Brittany looking to feel like a Breton for a week, and we can say that Julien and his house got us as close as one can in a week.