Riventides with its expansive views of river, ridge, and ocean provides a perfect North Coast vacation spot. This large, delightful house with its extended grounds and many special places can gracefully accomodate up to 8 in three bedrooms.
Riventides sits atop peaceful Navarro Ridge overlooking the mouth of the Navarro River where it flows into the Pacific. The house has extended river and ocean views as well as a panoramic view of the forested ridges on both sides of the Navarro. We recently bought this dramatic yet serene dwelling with its two acres of land. We were enchanted by its views and its unusual combination of classical, creative, and rustic features. They all come together in what one friend characterized as “a rustic palace.”
The house is set back from the road by a long driveway with an adjacent grassy meadow. At the end of the drive, open a small gate and step into a delightful park-like courtyard reminiscent of those found in European country houses, complete with fountain. Enter the long foyer of the house and walk back to the living room, with its soaring cathedral ceiling, stone fireplace, and vaulted windows that beautifully showcase the ridge on the far side of the river. A balcony overlooks the living room from the second floor. To the right is the extended kitchen-dining area with river and ocean views, a high slanted roof, and a row of doors that open to the long covered back porch and generous backyard.
A number of vintage treasures have been incorporated into the house. The broad-board pine floors in the living and dining room hail from an old Singer sewing machine factory, the marble island counter top in the kitchen from the Berkeley Public Library, and the double doors at the front entrance are from a former Fort Bragg mercantile store. These harmonize well with the more contemporary elements, such as the industrial-style metal kitchen countertops and the stainless appliances.
The first floor has a large master bedroom suite with a huge spa/tub, enclosed tile shower, and an adjacent outdoor hot tub. There is also an ample guest room with attached bath. The second floor bedroom can sleep up to four with its bunk bed (lower double/upper single) and additional single bed. The second floor bathroom has an unusual tub/shower that is likely to delight.
Situated in Albion, Riventides is near many fine restaurants and only 8 miles from the town of Mendocino and its shops. Because it is very close to the junction of CA Route 128 and CA Highway 1, it also provides a wonderful base for experiencing the riveting beauty and other attractions all up and down the North Coast. We named the property “Riventides,” inspired by Tolkien’s “Rivendell,” a place of beauty, comfort and rejuvenation for Hobbits and Elves. We hope that with its open views of river, sea, ridges, and sky, its comfort, and its peaceful yet energizing ambiance, Riventides will serve a similar purpose for our guests!
We are lucky to have a very helpful when needed but otherwise completely unintruisve caretaker for the property, who lives in an apartment over the detached garage.
Rate include the 11% Mendocino County tax
RENTAL AGREEMENT FOR RIVENTIDES
The Renters agree to the following rules and conditions:
1) The person who secured the reservation and agrees to this contract is responsible for informing all in their party about these rules/condition.
2) Check-in is at 4:00 pm and check out is at 11:00 am unless by prior arrangement.
3) No more than the number of people the owner approved are allowed to sleep in the house.
4) Renters agree to keep the main gate from the road to the property closed at all times.
5) No smoking in the house or the yard. If anyone has to smoke they are to do so on the front porch.
6) Respect the quiet and privacy of neighbors at all times. Partying or any other kinds of boisterous behavior is not allowed. No very loud talking in hot tub, especially after dark.
7) Supervise young children in the field, on the 2nd floor balcony, and the stairs, and all children in the upstairs bath/shower and hot tub. Wipe up all spilled water in the upstairs bathroom.
8) Internet is via satellite, as Riventides is rural, and there are serious caps. Emailing, web surfing, and downloading/uploading documents have no limits. Downloading or streaming movies or music to computers, the use of SKPE or HANGOUTS or other social media sites must be done very sparingly (except from 3 am to 8 am, when no caps apply). Downloading videos from you-tube or other video sites also count towards caps and must also be done very sparingly.
9) Both Dish TV and the Internet are provided as a convenience. There is no guarantee that renters will be able to access specific content or that there will not be occasional access problems.
10) The owner or the caretaker has the right to inspect the premises without prior notice at any time to deal with any current or potential problems.
11) The renters shall inform the owner or caretaker about any damage and pay for any damage done to the premises over and above normal wear and tear. The owner has the right to use the security deposit for full or partial payment of all damages caused by renters,. The renters will promptly pay the bills they receive for damage to the property.
12) The renters are responsible for their own security and should lock doors and windows when it is prudent to do so.
13) Any unsafe or dangerous condition must be reported to the owner or the caretaker immediately.
14) The renter acknowledges that the use of the property is entirely at the renter's risk. They shall indemnify and hold harmless the owner against and from any and all expenses, costs, damages, suits, actions or liabilities arising from any and all loss of or damage to property, injury or death resulting from the use of the rental property, grounds, pool, hot tub and grill. Renters agrees to indemnify and hold Homeowner harmless from any liability for personal injury or property damage sustained by Guest or parties invited onto the property by Guest.