Emily was a gracious host and her guesthouse was cute, clean and serene and in a great location in Venice. Depending on your vacation needs, this may or may not be the place for you.
The reason why I say that is that although Emily and her place was great, the location itself sometimes played a difficult part of our stay. If you were planning on being out all day, you'd be fine but as someone who was working, the plane sounds became quite an issue. Emily's place is by the Santa Monica airport so there is nothing she could do about it, but if it was made known publicly, I don't think we would've chosen this area.
Also there was no AC (as expected in a guesthouse) but because all the windows had to be open, we could hear everything (including the neighbours, their dogs) early in the morning (and basically all day) as the front house was only a few feet away. Again, not too much of an issue if your days are busy but if you were going to be indoors, it can be.
I loved the sunlight that peered into the house, however because the neighbours and the dogs were always in their backyard (Emily's front yard), there was little to no privacy. So we had to close all of the blinds all day as I wasn't comfortable having strangers easily look in (despite them being incredibly friendly).
- If you're looking to stay for a weekend, I would HIGHLY SUGGEST staying at Emily's. Great location, close to Rose street and Venice Beach and Santa Monica Pier in a fairly safe neighbourhood. Quite walkable. Lovely, lovely neighbourhood.
- Great places to eat and explore
- Her kitchen was clean and stocked with items you'd need to cook with
- Friendly and nice neighbours
- Great if you love dogs (I happen to be allergic, and they barked a bit but were never aggressive)
- Internet was fast
- If you were planning on staying longer than just a few days, I might shy away. Only because the plane sounds were unbearable (even when the windows were all closed!)
- No microwave
- No AC (although it's quite cool in this area compared to mid-LA) but a couple of nights during our week-stay was a bit uncomfortable
- Awesome for 1 person, a bit tight for 2 (although she did us a favour in allowing a couple of stay)
All in all, Emily was such an amazing host and super friendly but the cons were mostly out of her control.
Hope that helps!