--NOTE: Please read through before making a booking, our house accommodates all guests in shared spaces--
Right in the beautiful heart of Tel Aviv, about 5 people are sharing a classic 5-bedroom Bauhaus apartment, forming the CityTree Urban Ecology School and community centre. You're welcome to stay in our unique flat, in one of the shared bedrooms. All the food that we have in the house is available for your use, so no need to get anything outside.
This home was built slowly, with lots of attention and love. There are numerous opportunities to learn and create here and even though our busy minds might want to know everything at once, you are welcome to take it slow. Please ask lots of questions, be still and observe, and open up at your own pace.
The first moment you enter CityTree you might feel that there is something different about this house. You are welcome to take some time, walk around and ask yourself, what is it exactly that makes this house different?
So here are a few secrets about our home.
Lots of energy and thoughtfulness is put into our food in CityTree. This comes out of our aspiration to nourish ourselves well, the need to minimize the damage that is caused by the food industry and the desire to create even more life by using our food scraps wisely. So how are all of these aspirations expressed in our daily life?
It’s true, in order to pollute less and also get amazing food you have to plan ahead. We get fresh produce twice a week from local organic farmers that live nearby. Because none of us own a car, we get together with a member of our close community and drive there together. Takes some organising and planning? For sure. Worth it? definitely! It feels so good to release ourselves from hundreds of packages we would just through away if we would shop at a regular supermarket. And also we get to be connected with people like our farmer Zvika and all their beautiful trees and plants.
Usually everything that is prepared or cooked is shared by everyone in the community. We try to make everything from scratch, including all kinds of spreads, chocolate, bubbly drinks and more. Most of our food is organic. There is no meat or cheese in the house. Generally what we eat changes according to who is living in the house but as a rule of thumb, we try to avoid industrialised foods because of their environmental and health impact.
Important for our guests: please do not bring industrialised food into the house. If we don’t have what you need, come and talk to us.
We do the basic things in order to treat our precious water with respect and attention. Collecting water from our showers, laundry and our sinks and reusing it to water our plants, wash the floors and flush the toilets. It feels so good to see hundreds of gallons of good drinking water come to a more respectful use instead of just going down the drain.
All the house is available for you to use during the day unless temporarily occupies for teaching or gathering purposes. The kitchen and bathrooms are always available.
Общение с гостями
The residents of our eco-home are here to make you feel comfortable, and connect you to everything that is good in the city. You might meet other guests, maybe at the weekly “Tea and Cookies,” or in one of the workshops taking place here. You will exchange ideas, recipes, make connections, and hear good news about the change we see in the world.
Our vision is a city which is one big green oasis. For the moment we are nurturing one of the first spots in Tel Aviv that are like that. Our house serves as a school of urban ecology and the heart of a community. Most of the residents are either teachers or pupils and we also host close members of the community.
Другие важные подробности
* There's NO AIR CONDITIONING, as of reducing our ecological footprint. Every room has a ceiling fan.
* In order to conserve drinking water, we usually flush our toilets using buckets of grey (recycled) water, which might be a bit surprising at first.
* We check our message box once a day, mostly in the mornings. Yet, most of the time, we don’t keep close touch with our technological devices, so please be patient if we don't respond immediately.
* All of us, guests included, sleep on thick roll-out futon mattresses, not on beds.
* We make our own cosmetics from the best natural ingredients possible. You are most welcome to leave any industrial cosmetics behind :)
* We use self-made natural cleaning products. Hence don't expect the shiny and sparkling look by obtained by industrial products, but rather a simply-clean, healthy, natural feeling.
* Some of us go to sleep very early, so most lights are turned off early and the house is quiet. Of course, you may use the bathroom and kitchen freely at all times and enjoy light in your room without limitations.
- The house is vegan; please don't bring any meat, milk, eggs, or products thereof in the house.
- There's no smoking in the house; you're free to smoke in the pleasant plaza under our house.
- Dogs are sadly not welcome, as we have a cat.
- Generally speaking, we go to sleep quite early, at about 10PM-midnight. Of course, you're free to adhere to your own schedule; but please keep mind to keep the place quiet after 10.
I'm a computer-science graduate, with a past in the software industry, who has moved to do some good for our planet, and our human society, so currently I live and work at the CityTree Urban Ecology Community in the heart of Tel Aviv, trying to make my city more beautiful, more sustainable, and more fun.